December 17, 2008

rock-n-roll wisdom

Rock-n-roll and hippies have been on my mind. I have long found great wisdom in rock-n-roll, and could often be heard singing to my children. The most frequently heard song is classic and goes like this, “You can’t always get what you want. No, no, you can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.”
I think that is wisdom for the current global crisis. Our values have become so twisted, that what we want and what we need are jumbled. It's time to re-evaluate. What is it that I need?
Years ago I lived in a commune and I prayed for just about everything, even what to do with the answer to prayer. Was the thing I had just received mine, or was I meant to pass it along? I learned to listen to God, to obey His promptings and to trust Him. I grew to love the unknown. It was exciting to see what God was doing, and an honor to be part of His blessing.
As I watch the news and see the assets in my retirement account shrink, I am trusting God in practical ways again. It is a good thing. God hasn't changed. He is still faithful to provide all my needs. It may be time to re-evaluate needs verses wants, but that too is a good thing. It is time to ask again, "Is this for me or someone else?"

No comments: