December 11, 2008

Sharing


"And do not neglect doing good and sharing; for with such sacrifices God is pleased." Hebrews 13:16.
All those times I told my kids to share, I was ordering them to sacrifice something. I haven't thought of sharing that way until today. It puts a new spin on things for me. I wonder what others have sacrificed in order to share with me.
Last week as I was leaving a friends house, her daughter asked if she could come home with me, just her. My first thought was "No, that's not convenient." Then, I thought, "Sure, why not. Steve is traveling so it's just me anyway."
Monday night her mom dropped her off and we had soup and hot cocoa. We watched Veggie Tales and I listened, a lot, and I loved it. I had other things to do, but nothing more important than sharing my home, my time, and my heart with a little girl who's Grandma lives far away.
My first reaction was like that of my kids when I asked them to share, "No, it's mine." Once I got over myself and said, "Sure, let's do that." I received a blessing. Sharing is sacrifice, but sacrifice can hide blessings we will never experience unless we say, "Why not."

2 comments:

Carrie Gilbert said...

I'm crying now. What beauty. You are a gift to our family.

Casey said...

Because there is a Christopher Morley quote for everything...

"I can only guess what others have lost by what I have gained."

By the way, is the colonoscopy routine, or is something amiss?