January 22, 2010

Those amazing logs


This is my son-in-law Richie last year, standing next to a tree stump in the Redwood forest in California. I thought of it when I was reading Matthew 7:3 "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"
I love the drive up the coast from San Francisco heading north. Stopping for a stretch and standing next to one of these huge trees creates a sense of awe and wonder. They are huge, beautiful and amazing, and the reason I thought of them is this; they block out most of the sun.
It is dark in the Redwood forest. It's hard to see until you adjust to the little bit of light that finds it's way through the canopy of green above you.
It's like that when we try to see the faults in the life of another person. The lush canopy of our own faults, severely hampers our ability to see in order to do surgery on the target of our judgement. So, I think I will keep this picture in the back of my mind next time I rush to judgement. What, in my life, creates the shadows that make it hard to see? Maybe I need to take a few steps out into the light to look up and see what I need to work on myself first. I certainly need more light if I am going to, lovingly, remove the speck in the eye of another.

No comments: