May 29, 2009

Keeping count?

I know it has been longer than usual, but it's spring! I have been in the garden watching things come back to life and removing the things that are just plain dead. Renewal; it's breathing in the air just after a rain. Smell the fresh.
I am still working my way through the Bible and once again I have been amazed at how it is new with every reading. God's word is still able to surprise me.
What struck me today is that God isn't counting my failures or sins. That is wonderful, but He is asking me to forget the count too. That is hard.
"All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation." II Corinthians 5:18 & 19.
Not counting sins ... I am a good counter ... I need to quit ... I need to lose count.
Once again it comes back to the realization that it isn't about me. It's about being a blessing, a source of life to others. It's learning to not only speak the truth in love, but with the motivation to reconcile, not just to God, but with each other. I can only think of one way to succeed. I must be fully immersed in Him, completely covered by His love. I need to view those around me from a new perspective; from His perspective.
So, I think it's time to dig up my old Steven Curtis Chapman CD, "I'm Diving In."

No comments: